[Insight-developers] Wrapping Explosion

Charl P. Botha c . p . botha at ewi . tudelft . nl
20 Nov 2003 15:19:31 +0100

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 14:59, William A. Hoffman wrote:
> I would propose that we only wrap float except for IO classes.
> So people will be able to load in any data type, convert it to float
> and do the processing.  As for dimension, I would say that we
> should do 3d.
>
> -Bill
>
> At 08:52 AM 11/20/2003, Vincent A. Magnotta wrote:
> >We have been working both to expand some of the data types included in
> >the wrapping as well as include some of the filters not originally
> >wrapped in ITK. Here are a list of just a few filters not currently
> >wrapped in ITK:

My two cents:
If people are making use of the Tcl or Python wrapping in their ITK
installations, aren't they willing to wait a tad longer for it to
compile?

I prefer to use ITK via Python (it helps to preserve sanity) and for me
the choice between a complete wrapping or longer compile time always
goes towards a more complete wrapping.  Experimenting with ITK via an
interpreted language like Python or Tcl drastically shortens development
time.  However, if the wrapping is significantly less complete, one
spends more and more time working around the gaps.

On the other hand, I do understand that if all possible instantiations
of all templates in ITK are wrapped, it will probably never finish
compiling.  Luis' advice to wrap classes as they were needed seemed like
a very good compromise though.

--
charl p. botha http://cpbotha . net/ http://visualisation . tudelft . nl/