[Insight-developers] Wrapping Explosion

Hans J. Johnson hans-johnson at uiowa . edu
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:24:17 -0600

Hello All,

A week or so ago, Luis stated that we would be adding classes to the
wrapping as they are needed.  Well, the Iowa group is in the process of
needing an awful lot of ITK to be wrapped for TCL.

I'm currently working through the details of adding a couple of hundred
more filter combinations to the wrapping for our current project.  I'm
afraid that if I do this, it will greatly increase the compile time of
the wrapping code, and many people may not want all the filters that we
intend to add.

I have no problem with the increased compile times, but I wanted to make
sure that it will not undermine some of the nightly regression tests.

If compile times are an issue, I would propose that we (i.e. the iowa
gorup) implement a CMAKE conditional -- EXPANDED_WRAPPING -- that when
turned off compiles a core set of the wrapping functionallity, and when
turned on compiles the greatly extened set functionality.

We've started the work, and want to make sure it benefits others without
causing too much headache by default.

Regards,
Hans