[Insight-developers] Tcon topic: bug fixes + cvs log

Fri, 23 May 2003 09:42:44 -0400

Hi,

This is a suggested topic for today's TCon.

Gavin Baker has been packaging ITK for Debian Linux.

He has raised a number of interesting questions about
the way in which we support bug fixes in branches/releases.
Since it is a Debian policy to make sure that packages
are maintained for bug fixes.

The two following questions are the most significant:

1) Do you make sure that all the bug
    fixes go into the release branch ?

    Shameful answer: [ unfortunately we don't... ]

2) When you fix bugs, does your CVS log has a
    pointer to the bug number in your GNATS
    database ?

    Shameful answer: [ unfortunately we don't ... ]

The second question happens to be fundamental when
it comes to the process of obtaining FDA aproval for
a medical device using ITK.

We are supposed to be able to track software problems
from the moment they are reported (mailing-list + GNATS),
to their classification (Tcon bugs discussion), to their
fixes (CVS commits), and further testing (next day dashboard).

We could at least encourage that when somebody fixes
a bug from the GNATs database, make sure that the bug
number makes its way into the commit comment.

How about a format like:

      "BUG: ...blah, blah....   GNATS(287)"

   Luis