[Insight-developers] Is MeshKComplex.cxx right?

Mark Foskey mark_foskey@unc.edu
Sun, 18 May 2003 22:04:04 -0400

 From the implementation of itk::Mesh, it looks like two steps are
required to specify cell neighbors:

1. Call SetBoundaryAssignment to link a BoundaryIdentifier with a
particular triple of (cell, dimension, feature identifier).

2. Call SetBoundary to link the given identifier with a particular
boundary cell.

This process does not seem to be reflected in the MeshKComplex.cxx
example, which only calls SetBoundaryAssignment.  If I understand
correctly, this failure will go undetected, since
GetCellBoundaryFeatureNeighbors() will figure out the neighbors for you
if they haven't been specified.

Am I missing something here?

Also, if I do call SetBoundary(), what do I pass in as a
BoundaryAutoPointer?  Do I take the appropriate CellAutoPointer from
the list of cells, and cast it to a BoundaryAutoPointer?  That doesn't
sound right.  There doesn't seem to be any documentation of how one
uses that function in practice.

Finally, it seems like we're representing the same cell twice, once as
a boundary and once as just a cell, without making very clear the
connection between those two representations.

--
Mark Foskey    (919) 843-5436  Computer-Aided Diagnosis and Display Lab
mark_foskey@unc.edu            Department of Radiology, CB 7515, UNC