[Insight-developers] level sets: curvature term and time step

Tolga Tasdizen tolga at sci . utah . edu
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:16:02 -0600

--------------030408000509070208030400

Hi,

I am going to change the level set time computation for the case when
curvature weight is zero. Currently it is

dt = m_WaveDT / d->m_MaxAdvectionChange

which is unstable (will not converge). I will change it to

dt = vnl_math_min(( m_WaveDT / d->m_MaxAdvectionChange ),
                        ( m_WaveDT / vnl_math_abs(m_PropagationWeight) ));

This change also compatible with the time step computation when
curvature weight is not zero.
I am not sure if anyone else uses the level set function without
curvature flow, but I thought I'd check to see if anybody has objections.

Tolga

Lydia Ng wrote:

>Hi Josh,
>
>I think it is possible (but may not be likely) that all the level set
>filters (ie. using itk::LevelSetFunction) are affected not just the
>spatially varying curvature ones.
>
>We have,
>Curvature_term = curvature * CurvatureWeight * CurvatureSpeed();
>

>Say for example, there is no advection term then in
>ComputeGlobalTimeStep
>
>dt = m_DT / vnl_math_abs( m_CurvatureWeight );
>

>By default, CurvatureSpeed() returns 1 - so things might go wrong if
>curvature is much larger than 1 / m_DT  ( > 4 for 2D ).
>
>But I don't know how likely this scenario is.
>
>________________
>
>The problem Nils ( email attached ) is having is because his
>CurvatureSpeed() returns 1000 and he has a CurvatureWeight of 1.
>
>Say if curvature is approx 1 then curvature_term is 1000
>But dt = m_DT = 0.25 (2D) and hence the algorithm takes to big a step.
>
>While if he had it the other way around: CurvatureSpeed() = 1 and
>CurvatureWeight = 1000 then dt = 0.25/1000 and the algorithm remains
>stable.
>
>So I think the time step calculation to be general it needs to take into
>account the whole curvature_term rather than just the CurvatureWeight.
>
>- Lydia

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi,<br>
I am going to change the level set time computation for the case when curvature
weight is zero. Currently it is<br>
dt = m_WaveDT / d-&gt;m_MaxAdvectionChange <br>
which is unstable (will not converge). I will change it to<br>
dt = vnl_math_min(( m_WaveDT / d-&gt;m_MaxAdvectionChange ),<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ( m_WaveDT / vnl_math_abs(m_PropagationWeight) ));<br>
This change also compatible with the time step computation when curvature
weight is not zero.<br>
I am not sure if anyone else uses the level set function without curvature
flow, but I thought I'd check to see if anybody has objections.<br>
Tolga<br>
Lydia Ng wrote:<br>
 cite="midEEF8736EDA4962479208961401D6A02C4B8DD6 at se2kexch01 . insightful . com">
  <pre wrap="">Hi Josh,

I think it is possible (but may not be likely) that all the level set
filters (ie. using itk::LevelSetFunction) are affected not just the
spatially varying curvature ones.

We have,
Curvature_term = curvature * CurvatureWeight * CurvatureSpeed();

Say for example, there is no advection term then in
ComputeGlobalTimeStep

dt = m_DT / vnl_math_abs( m_CurvatureWeight );

By default, CurvatureSpeed() returns 1 - so things might go wrong if
curvature is much larger than 1 / m_DT  ( &gt; 4 for 2D ).

But I don't know how likely this scenario is.

________________

The problem Nils ( email attached ) is having is because his
CurvatureSpeed() returns 1000 and he has a CurvatureWeight of 1.

Say if curvature is approx 1 then curvature_term is 1000
But dt = m_DT = 0.25 (2D) and hence the algorithm takes to big a step.

While if he had it the other way around: CurvatureSpeed() = 1 and
CurvatureWeight = 1000 then dt = 0.25/1000 and the algorithm remains
stable.

So I think the time step calculation to be general it needs to take into
account the whole curvature_term rather than just the CurvatureWeight.

- Lydia

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">-----Original Message-----
Just to clarify: you are talking about the spatially varying curvature
term, and not the curvature calculation itself? So only filters
which use this term should be affected, right?

Josh.

 Josh Cates
 School of Computer Science
 University of Utah
 Email: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:cates at sci . utah . edu">cates at sci . utah . edu</a>
 Phone: (801) 587-7697