[Insight-developers] level sets: curvature term and time step

Paul Yushkevich pauly at cognitica . com
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:11:43 -0400

Hi Lydia, this is a really good question!

I looked at Sethian's book and here is what I got out of it:

1. The timestep limit is defined by (pg 67)
    max_{\Omega}(F \Delta t) \le \Delta \x

2. F is defined as (pg 73)
    F = F_{prop} + F_{curv} + F_{adv} = F_0 + \vec{U}(x,y,t) \cdot
\vec{n} - \epsilon \kappa

Sorry for the latex.

In the level set code, the max of F_0 and max of U \vec{n}are already
computed and used for setting the timestep, if I am correct.  Seems like
we need to compute the max of the sum of those two and - \epsilon \kappa
to get the time step.  Here,
\epsilon = \epsilon(x,y,t) is the "Curvature Speed" times the "Curvature
Weight".

That's my 2 cents, but I am no expert.  Perhaps we could talk after the
T-Con this week?

Paul