[Insight-developers] DifferenceOfGaussiansGradientImageFilter

George Stetten george@stetten.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:49:33 -0500

--------------010700070603070403060101

Jim

Our use of the phrase "Difference of Gaussian" is perhaps unfortunate.
 We blur the image with a recurrent binormial filter that approximates a
Gaussian, and then produce the components of the gradient by subtracting
the intensity at two points displaced along each of the cardinal
directions.  This is a "Difference of Gaussian" but not in the
traditional sense.  The traditional DOG is two concentric Gaussians of
different scale, yielding something approximating a Laplacian, which
yields zero-crossings at the boundaries independent of orientation.

How about we change the name of our "Difference of Gaussian" to
"Difference of Displaced Gaussians" which is more specific?

George

Miller, James V (Research) wrote:

>>>3) the calculation does not appear to be a difference of gaussian
>>>gradient calculation
>>>
>>I'll defer this to George - it's based on his code. As I
>>understand it,
>>this filter approximates a DOG computation when run in tandem
>>with the
>>BinomialBlurImageFilter.
>>

>So there are lots of issues with this filter's name then.  At best it computes a gradient of the
>image.  However, it is not doing a difference of Gaussians approach internally to the filter.  If you
>have to pass it a blurred image, then it is merely doing a gradient calculation.  Now if I am feeding
>with a BinomialBlur, then I am not really doing a difference of Gaussians either.
>

>I would say if you can use another gradient calculator in the system, then use that.  I do think it
>would be nice to have a DifferenceOfGaussians filter.  It should take a single intensity image and
>two sigmas.

George Stetten, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Bioengineering, U. Pitt.
Research Scientist, Robotics Institute, CMU
http://www.stetten.com

--------------010700070603070403060101

<head>
</head>
Jim<br>
Our use of the phrase "Difference of Gaussian" is perhaps unfortunate. &nbsp;We
blur the image with a recurrent binormial filter that approximates a Gaussian,
and then produce the components of the gradient by subtracting the intensity
at two points displaced along each of the cardinal directions. &nbsp;This is a
"Difference of Gaussian" but not in the traditional sense. &nbsp;The traditional
DOG is two concentric Gaussians of different scale, yielding something approximating
a Laplacian, which yields zero-crossings at the boundaries independent of
orientation. &nbsp;<br>
How about we change the name of our "Difference of Gaussian" to "Difference
of Displaced Gaussians" which is more specific?<br>
George<br>
Miller, James V (Research) wrote:<br>
      <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
George Stetten, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Bioengineering, U. Pitt.
Research Scientist, Robotics Institute, CMU
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.stetten.com">http://www.stetten.com</a>

</pre>

--------------010700070603070403060101--