[Insight-developers] DifferenceOfGaussiansGradientImageFilter

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv@crd.ge.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:03:06 -0500

> > 3) the calculation does not appear to be a difference of gaussian
> > gradient calculation
>
> I'll defer this to George - it's based on his code. As I
> understand it,
> this filter approximates a DOG computation when run in tandem
> with the
> BinomialBlurImageFilter.

So there are lots of issues with this filter's name then.  At best it computes a gradient of the
image.  However, it is not doing a difference of Gaussians approach internally to the filter.  If you
have to pass it a blurred image, then it is merely doing a gradient calculation.  Now if I am feeding
with a BinomialBlur, then I am not really doing a difference of Gaussians either.

I would say if you can use another gradient calculator in the system, then use that.  I do think it
would be nice to have a DifferenceOfGaussians filter.  It should take a single intensity image and
two sigmas.