[Insight-developers] ObjectMorphologyImageFilterTest

Joshua Cates cates@sci.utah.edu
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:57:20 -0700 (MST)

Hi Stephen,

> Actually, it looks like there is a flaw in my logic in handling faces.

Not necessarily, I would probably use the same approach unless kernel
sizes are dramatically different.  But there will be a performance penalty
on the iterator using the smaller kernel at the boundary faces.  An
iterator will always do bounds checking if defined so that its region
touches the image boundary. So you will lose some efficiency with
increasing difference in the two kernel sizes.

But I wouldn't expect to see a dramatic slowdown because of this unless
you are processing a data set with a high surface area to volume ratio.

We can always add a method to manually turn off bounds checking if that
would be helpful.  Then your algorithm has the option of deciding when to
turn it on and off for a particular iterator.

Josh.

 Josh Cates
 School of Computer Science
 University of Utah