[Insight-developers] Re: [Insight-users] load a CT scan (DICO M)

Stephen R. Aylward aylward@unc.edu
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:02:30 -0400

Hi,

I guess we never intended to support all of dicom.  We opted to not
require the users to install another library to make itk work and so we
implemented a subset.   Perhaps we chose poorly on the subset, but with
over 700 tags in dicom....I am happy with what we have chosen.   I think
the code supports extension quite nicely too.   The IO factory is really
easy to use to add other types as well (thanks Will!).

Also - the metaImage reader doesn't use the dicomIO methods - it just
skips the dicom header and reads the data according to the description
file (i.e., the metaheader).

Thanks,
Stephen

Miller, James V (Research) wrote:
> What?
>
> Where does the MetaImageIO delegate to the DicomImageIO?  I do not see any
> references to the DicomImageIO in the MetaImageIO class.
>
> If the MetaImageIO delegates to the DicomImageIO, then why do we need
> (all the information) in the MetaImageIO headers?  All of that information
> is in the DICOM file.
>
> Jim

Dr. Stephen R. Aylward
Assistant Professor of Radiology
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Computer Science
http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu
aylward@unc.edu
(919) 966-9695