[Insight-developers] itk vs vnl / Vector & Matrix

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:23:08 -0500

Robert Tamburo wrote:

>Would it be unreasonable to give itkVector more of the mathematical
>operations that vnl_vector has?

It depends on how complex these operations may be...
If you are looking for advanced operations (let's say a FFT),
it will be better to use vnl_vectors directly.

however if we are missing something fundamental (like  Normalize()
that was recently added after a Damion's request)   it will be just
a matter of pointing this out and we will add it.

itkVector also provide a couple of convenience method for
converting to and from vnl_vectors but doing that in a large
number of them will result in a performance hit.

You may want to check the itkVector.h and itkPoint.h files
to see is there is any missing functionality.

      Luis