[Insight-developers] Watching cvs files

Bill Lorensen wlorens1@nycap.rr.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:15:27 -0500

Folks,
I've added the files necessary to support the cvs watch facility. In addition to the normal
functionality, I added a perl script, cvs_mail_watch.pl (written and donated by Rebecca Brown of GE
CRD) that reformats the commit information with links to the cvs repository.

I recommend you watch the code you have written so you can see what changes are being made during the preparation for the beta. GE and Kitware will be doing some cleanup (warnings, possible rename of ivars, documentation formatting).

To use the watch facility, on let's say, Documentation/Users
cd Insight/Documentation
cvs watch add UserList.txt

Later, if someone commits a change to that file, you'll receive an e-mail like the one below

Watch triggered on commit:

/insight/cvsroot/Insight/Documentation/UserList.txt
----------------------------
revision 1.31
date: 2001/12/20 12:53:49;  author: blezek;  state: Exp;  lines: +0 -0
ENH: forced.
(http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/itkcvsweb.cgi/Insight/Documentation/UserList.txt)

You can watch an entire directory with one command. For example, if Lydia wants to see who is mucking with her registration example, she can:

cd Insight/Examples
cvs watch add MultiResMIRegistration

We don't have much experience with cvs watching, but we think it will be useful in our distributed development environment.

Bill