[Insight-developers] RFC: Agressive error checking during compilation?

Daniel J. Blezek, Ph.D. blezek@crd.ge.com
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:29:47 -0500 (EST)

Paul, et. al.,

  We've been working on Nightly builds for Insight to address exactly
these problems.  The URL is:
http://public.kitware.com/Insight/Testing/HTML/TestingResults/Dashboard/MostRecentResults-Nightly/Dashboard.html

  Currently we have builds occuring on a Sun, Linux and an SGI (which has
been having problems).  We also report changes made in the last day, and
coverage information.  The basic testing framework is outlined below.

We have two classes of build/test combinations: Nightly and Experimental
  - Nightly builds are all done w/the same code, a CVS snapshot at a
particular time
  - Experimental builds can be done anytime during the day, and will
report code that is modified or added from the Nightly baseline
  - Any user of Insight may submit Nightly or Experimental builds to the
Kitware site, please contact me if you are interested (currently Unix
only, until some CMake issues get resolved)

Dashboards are generated every 30 minutes through out the day containing
the Nightly builds as well as any experimental builds that have happened
during the day.  We are shooting for having as many platforms as possible
contribute to the nightly builds, and anyone that is interested, to
contribute to the Experimental builds.  One of the Experimental builds
will likely look for CVS commits, and compile code as it comes in, giving
you a look at how your changes do on other platforms.  All of the builds
have the -Wall flag on, so we get a count of as many warnings as possible.

  I've been away for 2 weeks, but will be working on the testing
infrastructure through the end of the year, and we'll also add a bit
better navigation to the testing results.

Take care,
-dan