[IGSTK-Users] Pivot Calibration

Yaniv, Ziv Rafael (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] zivrafael.yaniv at nih.gov
Wed Feb 15 14:16:38 EST 2017

Hello Jack,

For some tool shapes performing pivot calibration is simply hard because
of their physical shape and the position of the dynamic reference frame
(DRF) attached to the tool.

A potential solution assuming you have access to a high quality (accurate)
3D printer, if not there are online vendors who will print things out if
you send them an STL file:
0. You have the CAD description for your L shaped tool.
1. Design a wrapper which will exactly encase the L, and which creates a
temporary tool with a straight tip. You need to know the exact tip
location of your L inside the wrapper, this is from the CAD design.
2. Pivot calibrate the wrapped tool. You have the location of the
wrapper¹s tip with respect the DRF and you know the location of the L¹s
tip with respect to the wrapper¹s tip from your CAD design. This gives you
the L¹s tip with respect to the DRF.

    hope this helped
       Ziv