[IGSTK-Users] Which kind of fiducials are best for image registration in IGSTK?

Yaniv, Ziv ZYaniv at childrensnational.org
Thu Oct 17 09:31:44 EDT 2013

Hi Alejandro,

Practical answer:

The markers you have chosen may work for you, but we haven’t used spherical markers for this form of registration (see theoretical answer for reasoning).

Try the doughnut fiducials from IZI (http://www.izimed.com/catalog.shtml?&Vl=6&Tp=2) or the conical fiducials from Beekley (http://www.beekley.com/MultiModality/index.asp).

We have used both and they worked well for us. You can request a sample from these companies and they will send you several markers. There’s nothing like trying it out for yourself.

Theoretical answer (fiducial choice in general):

What you want from a fiducial is that the SAME point be easily and accurately localized in the volume (CT/MR) AND in the physical world. This means that you need to think about the fiducial attachment (implanted or skin adhesive), and shape (sphere, doughnut, conical).

Ideally you would use bone implanted fiducials, but skin adhesive fiducials are the most popular. The reason for this choice is that there is no additional trauma, but on the other hand they will often fall off.

The fiducial you chose, spherical, is easily localized in the volume both manually or automatically. You get the center of the sphere. In the physical world to accurately digitize the center of the sphere you need a tracked and calibrated tool that has a cup with a specific diameter that fits the sphere. I used this approach in the past with a customized tool for registration so it is doable. Usually you will have a pointer tool and not a cup tool so your localization in the physical world will be less accurate.  [The reason most labs have a pointer tool readily available is that most tracking systems provide such a tool when you buy the system].

The conical and doughnut shaped fiducials may be less accurately localized in the image but this depends on your localization approach, manual or automatic. They are localized relatively accurately in the physical world using a standard pointer tool, hence our choice to use these markers.

                regards
                   Ziv

--
Ziv Yaniv, PhD.,