[IGSTK-Users] Using more tool's in OpenIGTLinkTrackerBroadcasting (IGTSK example), and a few question

Ziv Yaniv zivy at isis.imac.georgetown.edu
Mon May 17 10:59:24 EDT 2010

Hi Marcin,

Please note that your issues are not with the OpenIGTLink protocol but
with the OpenIGTLinkTrackerBroadcasting program that uses the protocol.

The OpenIGTLinkTrackerBroadcasting program is written so that it sends
the transformations to a unique socket for every tool. A single tool may
send its transforms to multiple sockets but you are not supposed to send
transforms from multiple tools to a single socket.

As to your xml files, option two is the correct version. The
OpenIGTLinkTrackerBroadcasting receives as input a single xml file. In
that file you specify to which socket(s) should a tool send its
transforms. In your case you have two tools that you called "reference
frame" and "reference frame2". Please note that the transforms for both
tools will be relative to the tracking device's coordinate system, you
are not using a dynamic reference frame. If you want the program to use
dynamic referencing you will have to specify this using an attribute in
the "tool" tag:
<tool usage="reference">....</tool>

In this case the transforms for this tool will not be sent and the
transforms for all other tools will be relative to this tool and not the
tracking devices coordinate system, also described on page 263 in the
IGSTK book (http://www.igstk.org/IGSTK/img/IGSTKTheBookV2.pdf).

          regards
              Ziv

On 5/15/2010 4:06 PM, Marcin Stronczek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a slight problem with using OpenIGTLink in IGSTK. I use
> OpenIGTLinkTrackerBroadcasting, which I have found in IGSTK. I use
> Polaris Vicra. I have written an application in C# that receives data
> from OpenIGT. The application works well with one tool. But I want to
> get data from 2 or 3 tools, so I have a few questions:
>

> 1) Does OpenIGTLink send all data (from 2 or 3 tools) to one socket? I
> have written a simple xml configuration:
>
> <tracking_system type = "polaris vicra">
>

> <refresh_rate> 20 </refresh_rate>
>

> <serial_communication>
>
> <com_port>3</com_port>
>
> <baud_rate>115200</baud_rate>
>
> <data_bits>8</data_bits>
>
> <parity>N</parity>
>
> <stop_bits>1</stop_bits>
>
> <hand_shake>0</hand_shake>
>
> </serial_communication>
>

> <tool>
>
> <name> reference frame </name>
>
> <srom_file>c:igstk-777-r-staticDataTrackerConfiguration8700340.rom</srom_file>
>
> <send_to>127.0.0.1:18944 <http://127.0.0.1:18944/></send_to>
>
> </tool>
>

> <tool>
>
> <name> reference frame2 </name>
>
> <srom_file>c:igstk-777-r-staticDataTrackerConfiguration8700339.rom</srom_file>
>
> <send_to>127.0.0.1:18944 <http://127.0.0.1:18944/></send_to>
>
> </tool>
>
> </tracking_system>
>

> Or does OpenIGTLink send data to 2 or 3 sockets?
>

> <tool>
>
> <name> reference frame </name>
>
> <srom_file>c:igstk-777-r-staticDataTrackerConfiguration8700340.rom</srom_file>
>
> <send_to>127.0.0.1:18944 <http://127.0.0.1:18944/></send_to>
>
> </tool>
>

> <tool>
>
> <name> reference frame2 </name>
>
> <srom_file>c:igstk-777-r-staticDataTrackerConfiguration8700339.rom</srom_file>
>
> <send_to>127.0.0.1:18945 <http://127.0.0.1:18945/></send_to>
>
> </tool>
>

> 2) May I define 2 or 3 tools in one xml or create 2 or 3 xml for every
> tool. It looks like this:
>
> - OpenIGTLinkTrackerBroadcasting.exe vicraConfiguration1_2.xml
>
> - OpenIGTLinkTrackerBroadcasting.exe vicraConfiguration1.xml
> vicraConfiguration2.xml ??
>
> 3)Which xml is correct? Could you give me any correct example of xml?
>

> 4) Where can I find an exemplary program (f.e. in C#) to receive data if
> OpenIGTLink uses 2 or 3 sockets?
>

> Thanks in advance for any help
>

> Marcin S.
>
> Silesian University of Technology

Ziv Yaniv, PhD., Research Assistant Professor
Imaging Science and Information Systems (ISIS) Center
Department of Radiology
Georgetown University Medical Center
2115 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 603
Washington, DC, 20007,