[IGSTK-Users] image origin question

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Mar 29 08:56:55 EDT 2007

Hi

You *shouldn't* arbitrarily change the origin of an image
that is going to be used for guiding a surgery.

The proper mechanism for aligning two images is through
a registration process. Otherwise, it is very likely that
the arbitrary origin that you provide for the image may
be wrong, and that will cascade in a sequence of errors
that can easily  result in harming a patient.

The service that an image guided surgery application provides
to a surgeon is based on displaying a *consistent* spatial and
temporal description of the surgical scene.

If your application can arbitrary move an image across the
scene, you can in turn, arbitrarily "misguide" the hand of the
surgeon to a wrong location. E.g. instead of inserting a needle
in a tumor, you may mislead a surgeon to insert a needle in
the heart.

IGSTK prevents such catastrophic mistakes by encapsulating
the coordinate system of the surgical scenario and making
sure that objects are displayed at the locations where they
are known to be placed.

IGSTK provides mechanisms for registering images via landmarks,
you can also use the ITK toolkit for performing registration
of images as part of the surgery planning stage.

    Regards,

       Luis