[IGSTK-Users] Problem reading DICOM CT images

Torleif Sandnes torleif.sandnes at sintef.no
Thu Jul 5 08:32:15 EDT 2007

> I have debugged the DICOMImageReader::AttemptReadImageProcessing()
> and found that an exception is thrown from the statement
> m_ImageSeriesReader->Update(). The exceptions description is
>
> "itk::ERROR: ImageSeriesReader(0x20215b00): At least two filenames
> are required."
>
> This is true, since printing the size and content of
> m_ImageSeriesReader's FileNamesContainer yields:
>
> "Printing 1 filenames..
> /Users/tosa/Desktop/06251514/17550735.dcm"
>
> However, stepping through DICOMImageReader::RequestSetDirectory(),
> I see that the test for
> directoryClass.GetNumberOfFiles() < 4 fails, (i.e. the directory
> contains at least two dcm files).
>
> Going back to DICOMImageReader::ReadDirectoryFileNamesProcessing(),
> I see that only two UIDS are returned from m_FileNames-GetSeriesUIDs
> () and only one file returned from  m_FileNames->GetInputFileNames
> (). The directory contains 283 dicom files.

Ok, I admit I had no idea what a UID was in this context, but now I
understand that it identifies a DICOM series and not a single dicom
file.

The Dicom directory I tried to load contains two series: one which
was a single image and one which contained several images. ITK fails
to load the single image because it requires a DICOM series to be
more than one file.
Doesn´t this directory adherre to the dicom standard?

After exporting only the second series from Osirix, I am able to load
this CT series in my application.

Btw: Is IGSTK able to handle the case where a directory contains more
than one (valid) series?
How can a client decide which series to read in such a case?

Regards,
Torleif