[IGSTK-Users] Problem reading DICOM CT images

Torleif Sandnes torleif.sandnes at sintef.no
Wed Jul 4 06:01:20 EDT 2007

Hi.
Thanks for your replies.

> E000102Mod is a test dataset generated to test the DICOM image
> reader capability to detect invalid
> dicom series.  If you carefully look at the dataset, this dataset
> contains dicom images from different series.

Ok, then we got that sorted out at least. I should probably have
checked to see how the series were used in the tests.

> 1)  Problem during the actual process in reading the data.
> Exceptions thrown by
>     the ITK image reader are caught and bundled into IGSTK image
> reader error..

This is the one.

> 2) Gantry tilt

The Gantry_DetectorTilt for the series I'm trying to load is 0.

> 3) Dicom image data has to be read by the correct DICOM image
>     reader derived class
> This means if you try to read MRI image using CTImageReader, it
> will fail.

I am absolutely certain that I am reading a CT image using a
CTImageReader.

I have debugged the DICOMImageReader::AttemptReadImageProcessing()
and found that an exception is thrown from the statement
m_ImageSeriesReader->Update(). The exceptions description is

"itk::ERROR: ImageSeriesReader(0x20215b00): At least two filenames
are required."

This is true, since printing the size and content of
m_ImageSeriesReader's FileNamesContainer yields:

"Printing 1 filenames..
/Users/tosa/Desktop/06251514/17550735.dcm"

However, stepping through DICOMImageReader::RequestSetDirectory(), I
see that the test for
directoryClass.GetNumberOfFiles() < 4 fails, (i.e. the directory
contains at least two dcm files).

Going back to DICOMImageReader::ReadDirectoryFileNamesProcessing(), I
see that only two UIDS are returned from m_FileNames-GetSeriesUIDs()
and only one file returned from  m_FileNames->GetInputFileNames().
The directory contains 283 dicom files.

Regards,
Torleif