[IGSTK-Users] Problem reading DICOM CT images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jul 3 10:34:33 EDT 2007

Hi Torleif,

      Why is Osirix tagging the modality as "SC"  ?

   Is it because the gray levels have been modified ?

   Have Osirix respected the range of Hounsfield units ?

   If the intensity range has been modified, then the "SC"
   modality is actually warning you that you cannot use
   this image as a CT. For one thing, you will not be able
   rely on the range of Hounsfield units for the purpose of
   applying window levels, or for the purpose of initializing
   segmentations. It will even compromise the potential of
   performing registration against other real CT images, if
   the metrics rely on the pixels intensities to be in the
   same range.

The CTImageReader is hard coded to read only CT, this has
been done on purpose to enforce safety by design.

As we discussed several days ago, we are going to add a
"modality-oblivious" layer to IGSTK so that you can use
those readers and images for less-safe, more-generic
applications, that are willing to accept "any-modality"
as a valid one. It is then up to the application developer
to choose between the classes that provide flexibility at
the price of lower safety, and the classes that improve
safety by restricting functionalities.

    Regards,

       Luis