[IGSTK-Users] On Orthogonal Viewer Orientation Setup

Patrick Cheng cheng at isis.georgetown.edu
Wed Mar 15 10:43:48 EST 2006

Hi Fucang,

The orientation and display of medical image is very tricky, Currently
in IGSTK we don't reorient the image volume.

in igstkView2D we different three orthogonal views by manipulating the
camera position. sample code:

/** Select the orientation of the View */
void View2D::RequestSetOrientation( const OrientationType & orientation )
{

  m_Orientation = orientation;

  double focalPoint[3];
  double position[3];

  for ( unsigned int cc = 0; cc < 3; cc++)
    {
    focalPoint[cc] = 0.0;
    position[cc]   = focalPoint[cc];
    }

  const double distanceToFocalPoint = 1000;

  switch( m_Orientation )
    {
  case Sagittal:
      {
      position[0] += distanceToFocalPoint;
      m_Camera->SetViewUp (     0,  0,  -1 );
      break;
      }
  case Coronal:
      {
      position[1] += distanceToFocalPoint;
      m_Camera->SetViewUp (     0,  0,  -1 );
      break;
      }
  case Axial:
      {
      position[2] += distanceToFocalPoint;
      m_Camera->SetViewUp (     0,  -1,  0 );
      break;
      }
    }

  m_Camera->SetPosition (   position );
  m_Camera->SetFocalPoint ( focalPoint );
  m_Camera->SetClippingRange( 0.1, 100000 );
  m_Camera->ParallelProjectionOn();
}

This is based on an assumption that the axes of image is as follows
(in DICOM 3.0 standard):
Y-axis: Anterior (front) ->  Posterior (back)
Z-axis: Inferior (feet)  ->  Superior  (head)

This is common is most CT images, however MR images could come in many
different orientations. DICOM uses a direction cosine to specify the
acquisition orientation. for details:
http://xmedcon.sourceforge.net/docs/orient/medcon1.html

There is a itkOrientImageFilter can be used to flip or permute the
axes of an image volume. Given original orientation information (three
letter code or dicom direction cosine) and target orientation
information (three letter code)
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1OrientImageFilter.html

You can try to reorient the image to standard orientation first and
then see if the image is being displayed correctly.

We will discuss the viewing issue among our developers hoping find a
better solution.

Patrick