[Girder-users] Data Migration

Zach Mullen zach.mullen at kitware.com
Mon Feb 6 16:55:41 EST 2017

Hi Brian,

The easiest way to do this would be to just mongoexport and mongoimport.
The other parts depend on what assetstore types you are using.

If you're using S3 assetstores, you don't need to do anything else, BUT
it's important to mention that there could be problems if you are trying to
simultaneously have both Girder instances use the same (writable) S3
assetstore, since both instances would try to manage the lifecycle of the
data independently and could clobber one another. That would only be a
problem for already existing files, not new ones uploaded after the split.

GridFS assetstores have the same caveat above if shared, otherwise you
could mongoexport/mongoimport them in order to copy them.

If you're using filesystem assetstores, you'll need to also recursively
copy the root of the filesystem assetstore to the new instance.

Hope this answers your question.

Zach Mullen
Kitware, Inc.
919-869-8858