[Girder-users] Deploy Girder on AWS with Elastic Beanstalk

Michael Grauer michael.grauer at kitware.com
Thu Apr 20 20:01:50 EDT 2017

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for trying out Girder, I'm glad you appreciate our docs!  We've done
a number of deployments to AWS, but they've all been EC2 instances.  EB is
on our roadmap, we'd like to start playing with it over the next couple
months, but don't have much concrete to share yet.  We'd love for you to
keep us informed about your progress, or let us know any stumbling blocks
you run into.

The plan you describe sounds like what we were going to attempt, put Mongo
in a separate EC2 instance, and then have EB bring up Dockerized (seems
easiest, and we already have a Docker image in Girder's repo) Girder
containers.  We normally would put Girder behind Nginx or Apache.  Were you
going to use ELB for your load balancer, and is that what you normally use
for your EB deployments?  How to best use ELB + possibly other proxy
servers if necessary (e.g., can you set all of the proxy rules in ELB to
allow stream notifications? where do you terminate TLS?) + Girder in EB are
open questions for us.

Let us know if you have more specific questions as well.

Thanks,
Mike