[Ctk-developers] Info level logging macro in VTK

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Sun Dec 14 20:43:05 EST 2014

Hi Folks,

To get the full picture, within CTK, we have the following classes:

* ctkErrorLogModel [1]:  Centralize messages captured by message handlers.

* ctkErrorLogWidget [2]: Present the messages from the model into a view

Message handlers:

* ctkErrorLogStatusMessageHandler [3]: Capture and log messages displayed
in the status bar

* ctkErrorLogStreamMessageHandler [4]: Capture and log messages "printed"
on std::cout and std::cerr

* ctkErrorLogQtMessageHandler [5]: Capture and log messages "printed" using
qWarning/qDebug/...

* ctkErrorLogFDMessageHandler [6]: Capture and log messages "printed" on
stdout and stderr file descriptor

* ctkITKErrorLogMessageHandler [7]: Capture and log messages "printed"
using ITK macros

* ctkVTKErrorLogMessageHandler [8]: Capture and log messages "printed"
using VTK macros

Thanks
Jc

[1]
https://github.com/commontk/CTK/blob/master/Libs/Widgets/ctkErrorLogModel.h

[2]
https://github.com/commontk/CTK/blob/master/Libs/Widgets/ctkErrorLogWidget.h

[3]
https://github.com/commontk/CTK/blob/master/Libs/Widgets/ctkErrorLogStatusMessageHandler.h

[4]
https://github.com/commontk/CTK/blob/master/Libs/Core/ctkErrorLogStreamMessageHandler.h

[5]
https://github.com/commontk/CTK/blob/master/Libs/Core/ctkErrorLogQtMessageHandler.h

[6]
https://github.com/commontk/CTK/blob/master/Libs/Core/ctkErrorLogFDMessageHandler.h

[7]
https://github.com/commontk/CTK/blob/master/Libs/ImageProcessing/ITK/Core/ctkITKErrorLogMessageHandler.h

[8]
https://github.com/commontk/CTK/blob/master/Libs/Visualization/VTK/Core/ctkVTKErrorLogMessageHandler.h

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Steve Pieper <pieper at isomics.com> wrote:

> Hi Andras -
>
> I'm on record from previous discussions on the vtk developer list that I'd
> like to make vtk smaller (e.g. move vtkChemistry, GeoVis and similar things
> into their own add-on libraries [1]).  But on this one I actually agree
> with your argument that VTK really should have a provision for this rather
> than leaving it to each application to develop a custom solution.  Berk
> seems to have dug in his heels though, so maybe just add the feature to
> CTK?  Or leaving it in Slicer is okay by me too.
>
> -Steve
>
> [1]
> http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Driving-away-your-existing-developers-td5728448.html
>

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Andras Lasso <lasso at queensu.ca> wrote:
>>
>>   The only reason for using macro is to be able to get the line number
>> and file name. The rest is handled by output window and logger classes.
>>
>> Andras

+1 919 869 8849