[Ctk-developers] CTK Update to latest DCMTK

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Mon Aug 1 10:35:37 EDT 2011

Hi Folks,

Moving to the official DCMTK is great, it will minimize maintenance and
avoid a dependency on a custom version of DCMTK.

Nevertheless, it seems CTK build is now broken :(

Few remarks:

 1) In CMakeExternals/DCMTK.cmake - Instead of specifying "origin/master",
would it be possible to use a specific SHA1 as a GIT_TAG. Doing so will be
more deterministic and ensure all developers / checkout will behave the same
way. Before, origin/patched associated with our own DCMTK was a "controller"
moving target."

 Created issue https://github.com/commontk/CTK/issues/21 and assigned to
Michael

2) DCMTK build is broken - How should we address the problem:
   * Get write access to official dcmtk ?
   * Ask dcmtk folks to mirror DCMTK on github so that we can fork and
easily contribute patches ?
  * Mirror DCMTK ourself on commontk/dcmtk

Assigned issue https://github.com/commontk/CTK/issues/22 to Michael

In the mean time, I will update CMakeExternal/DCMTK.cmake so that fPIC is
passed.

3) Should we move to a master/next workflow ?

 Having a continuous dashboard setup for both master and next, we will be
able to easily identify issue and ensure that our change compile properly on
all targets platform.

Thanks
Jc

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Julien Finet <julien.finet at kitware.com>wrote:

> Here are the errors on windows:
> http://my.cdash.org/viewBuildError.php?onlydeltap&buildid=214815
>
> Regards,
> Julien.
>
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Julien Finet <julien.finet at kitware.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Nice job !!!
>>
>> It seems that nightly builds are now failing.
>> -fPIC is missing: http://my.cdash.org/viewBuildError.php?buildid=214617
>> - Warning with the compilation of dcmtk:
>> http://my.cdash.org/viewBuildError.php?type=1&buildid=214303
>>
>> Can you give a look ?**
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Julien.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:54 AM, OFFIS DICOM Team <dicom at offis.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> the last two days I merged my changes regarding the adaptation of CTK to
>>> the
>>> latest DCMTK back in to the CTK master branch. I commited this stuff a
>>> few
>>> minutes ago.
>>>
>>> I also included some fixes where I stumbled over things that seemed wrong
>>> me. Further, I added minor features at some positions, e.g. color support
>>> for the DICOM thumbnail/image rendering. Overall, I only worked on the
>>> DICOM
>>> parts, 99% on /Libs/DICOM, mostly the Core part.
>>>
>>> I also changed the repository location in the superbuild to fetch DCMTK
>>> from
>>> the official OFFIS repository at http://git.dcmtk.org/dcmtk.git . That
>>> works
>>> for me here.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless, since these are my first actual commits to CTK, I expect
>>> that
>>> I have done some mistakes, hopefully not too many serious ones ;) Please
>>> tell me and I will correct that as soon as possible.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Michael
>>>
>>> --
>>> OFFIS DICOM Team, Escherweg 2, 26121 Oldenburg, Germany
>>> E-Mail: dicom at offis.de, URL: http://dicom.offis.de

+1 919 869 8849