[ITK] Wrong RescaleIntercept (0028, 1052) when saving float images to DICOM?

Markus Gramer markus.gramer at kuleuven.be
Wed Jun 21 02:48:34 EDT 2017

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to ITK and DICOM so maybe I am misunderstanding something.

I am trying to save a Nifti image in DICOM format using the meta information of a reference DICOM image. This works quite well for most of my images. However, I have some issues with images of data type float: When I try to save those images with the ImageSeriesFileWriter the DICOM tags for RescaleIntercept and RescaleSlope are set during writing (i.e. they got overwritten when I tried to set them manually before). It seems to me, however, that the intercept that is set should be still divided by the slope to follow the DICOM definition for those tags i.e. "IV = (slope*SV)+Intercept" to receive the image value (IV) from the stored value (SV). Currently it seems as if the intercept and slope are calculated for "IV=slope*(SV+intercept)".

Could anyone verify this?

Best,

Markus

PS: I am using ITK version 4.9.