[ITK] Deformable Registration Field Definition

Armstrong, Hirotatsu HIROTATSU.ARMSTRONG at UCDENVER.EDU
Thu Aug 14 17:14:59 EDT 2014

Hello,

I was wondering if it would be possible to get information of exactly how the deformable registration field is defined, specifically for the daemons filter.  Assuming we have a fixed CT and a moving CT of the same number of pixels in each dimension, the deformable field could be defined as

'To deformation field'
For each voxel in moving CT, the vectors point to the location this voxel should be mapped in the fixed CT

Or

'From deformation field'
For each voxel in fixed CT, the vector points to the location in the moving CT from which we should grab and place here

In addition, each of these could be defined as either +/- depending on how you define the starting location of the pixel shifts.  I am generating these deformation fields and saving them as VTK files, then applying them in my own implementation.  I have switched definitions and tried multiple ways to apply the deformation field, and no single method produces a result that is obviously correct or obviously wrong.  Any information on how the deformation field is actually defined would be appreciated.  Thanks

James Armstrong, Ph.D.
PostDoctoral Fellow, Physics
Department of Radiation Oncology
University of Colorado School of Medicine
1665 Aurora Ct, MS F706
Aurora, CO 80045
720-848-0257