[Cmb-users] New user/developer

Yumin Yuan yumin.yuan at kitware.com
Tue Jan 20 14:31:38 EST 2015

Hi Felipe,

I am just adding more info to Andy's response.

Please see my inline responses below.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi Felipe,
>
> Thanks for your interest in Computational Model Builder (CMB). We're still
> in the process of going open source with the code base as well as some
> other details to make this software sane to use. Rest assured though that
> the source code will be made available soon. We'll have a webinar in the
> next month or so (the announcement will be on this list) as well. A sample
> sbt file is available in the git repo at
> https://github.com/Kitware/SimBuilderFiles. The sbt file is essentially a
> configuration of simulation attributes (e.g. things like boundary condition
> definitions, solver parameters, material properties, etc.) and how to
> display them in the GUI. That repo also contains a Python exporter to write
> out the simulation input file.
>
> For now, feel free to ping us on the mailing list for any questions that
> you may have.
>
> Regards,
> Andy
>

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 4:09 AM, Felipe Bordeu <felipe.bordeu at ec-nantes.fr
> > wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I (and most of my lab) use ParaView in a daily basis for the
>> post-process. I'm in charge of developing the tools for the
>> pre/post-process (ParaView plug-in/android app/Webview...). I just
>> discovered the CMB and I think it will gives us a very big boost in
>> productivity. It is possible to have the sources for the CMB suite?. I
>> only found the sources for the RGG.
>>
>> I played yesterday but I was unable to understand the logic of the suite
>> (the geometry/model/scene/mesh/groups stuff). I just generated a very
>> simple .sbt file but I was unable to use it in the ModelBuilder.

In brief summary, the purpose of each application in the suite and the data
flow between applications are as follows (Eventually this will be part of
the documentation once we make the source code available to public):
* Points Builder, manipulating scatter point data. The output data can be
used in Scene Builder as terrain info.
* Scene Builder, combining different solids and terrain info for producing
geometric shape of the domain, which can then be consumed by Model Builder.
* Model Builder, modifying topology of the geometric domain so that
SimBuilder can assign appropriate properties to parts of domain boundary.
* Sim Builder (as part of Model Builder), managing simulation info
(material, BC, etc) and exporting these info for various simulation format.
* Mesh Viewer, providing tools to view and manually modify  mesh from
simulation output.

>> In ours cases we have already the meshes (in .xmf or .msh from gmsh )
>> and we have to defined all the properties for the calculation (BC, IC,
>> solver properties, output properties, ...).

In short, you could have a reader plugin (that can be loaded into
ModelBuilder) to convert your mesh to a format (such as legacy vtk file),
which can then be processed by ModelBuilder.

> I didn't found any tutorial on the web.

This blog by Bob Obara, PI of CMB project, will give you an overview for
the project:
http://www.kitware.com/blog/home/post/784

Best,
Yumin