[CMake] cmake end user vs. developer rpath handling

DIXON, MARK C. mark.c.dixon at durham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 10 10:01:29 EDT 2019

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019, Eric Noulard wrote:
> No rpath and using "only" LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not feasible in that case?
> Removing rpath is easy; chrpath -d lib_or_exe

You could but, to avoid a maintenance headache, you'd normally end up
getting the environment module to load any prereq environment modules,
which would modify LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

In either case, it'd mean unexpectedly polluting the user's environment
with things they didn't explicitly ask for, which I don't like doing.

> Or may be  commenting it out and specify CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH on the command
> line:
>
> cmake
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH=/as/log/as/you/want/path/in/order/to/safely/patch/rpath

Sorry - yes, I'm commenting it out and then specifying the
CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH I want on the command line.

Best,

Mark