[CMake] ?==?utf-8?q? Looking for an explanation: What exactly means "install" in cmake language?

Cornelis Bockemühl cornelis at bockemuehl.ch
Mon Oct 7 12:09:53 EDT 2019

> I think that the word install is used consistently between GNU autotools and CMake:

Right, looks like it comes from the "good old times" when on Linux computers software was "installed" by downloading, then doing a "make" and a "make install" in order to get it running, while nowadays "installation" is normally done by a package manager that tries to resolve dependencies and works with binaries only. And CMake does some tricky things to do an "install" in order to later on "export" and "import" the code, or prepare it for "pack" etc.

> It's that "prepare it for..." clause that makes it different from a straight up copy.

In my case it looks like it "somehow works" for now without other preparations - but I hate this "solution" because it is against all "good cmake use" that would rather deal with targets and properties only, not with variables and directly copying files around, fiddling with shared library extensions (like so or dll) - but if working "the right way" takes so much time to figure out, it's finally a question of time economy that you finally end up with doing it "the hard way".

(...which is of course the opposite of what a build tool should do for you: It should not make project setup more complicated, but more simple! But well - that's the real world ;-) )