[CMake] Looking for an explanation: What exactly means "install" in cmake language?

Fred Baksik fdk17 at ftml.net
Mon Oct 7 11:54:55 EDT 2019

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, at 11:25 AM, Eric Noulard wrote:

> Le lun. 7 oct. 2019 à 16:49, Cornelis Bockemühl <cornelis at bockemuehl.ch> a écrit :
>> Thanks to both you and J Decker: I would say that this is still the part that I understood! So basically the word "install" in cmake language could be replaced by "copy" more or less in common human language - right?
>
> Nope I oversimplified.
> This is not a bare copy, e.g. the runtime path (a.k.a. RPATH or RUNPATH) is updated as well.

File permissions are also set according to what was specified in install() via `PERMISSIONS which can be different from the file permissions of the file in the build directory.`
`I think I saw that there was even a "make install/strip" feature that also stripped targets during installation.`

`I think that the word install is used consistently between GNU autotools and CMake:`
*2. * (Computer Science) to transfer (computer software) from a distribution file to a permanent location on disk, and prepare it for its particular environment and application.

It's that "prepare it for..." clause that makes it different from a straight up copy.

I don't know what may be causing your issues. I do know that at least one person felt that CMake installation is too aggressive in that it is always installing files that it doesn't need to during the installation step.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/58069372/does-cmake-always-evaluate-install-rules-even-for-up-to-date-targets#comment102540437_58069372

--
Fred