[CMake] CDash documentation suggestions

Donald MacQueen [|] dmacq at instantiations.com
Thu Jan 3 12:24:20 EST 2019

I had a difficult time getting CDash to work even though I am familiar
with MySQL.

Here are some suggestions for the documentation:

1) CDash requires these Python modules (

  * bcmath
  * cURL (for site statistics)
  * GD (for regression tests)
  * mbstring
  * pdo-mysql or pdo-postgresql
  * XSL

). One of the distros I found installed these modules by default. I did
not know this until I ran php -m which displays what modules are installed.

2) For security reasons, MySQL no longer allows you to set the initial
password from a regular (non-sudo) command line unless you ssh in.
Entering

sudo mysql -u root -p

and then typing the root password works. You can also do it like this:

||ALTER USER 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY
'yourPassword';||

3) The easiest way to do the initial MySQL configuration is to edit (or
create) /etc/mysql/my.cnf, add these lines,

[mysqld]
sql-mode=ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

and then restart MySQL.

sudo mysqld restart

4) This
(https://askubuntu.com/questions/337874/change-apache-document-root-folder-to-secondary-hard-drive)
is an example of how to change DocumentRoot to point to the CDash
directory. Remember to restart Apache2 afterwards:

|sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart|

5) Finally, the docs say you should initially go to

||http://localhost/users.php||

This will not work until you first do the install from here:

||http://localhost/install.php ||

||If you get a database connection refused while doing the install, your
MySQL password is probably not set correctly.||

||Hope this helps,||

Donald [|]
A bad day in [] is better than a good day in {}.

---