[CMake] Generating libtool file with CMake

Mathieu Tarral mathieu.tarral at protonmail.com
Fri Nov 9 19:41:31 EST 2018

Hi !

I'm trying to port the LibVMI project from autotools to CMake:
https://github.com/libvmi/libvmi/pull/674

One of the problems I have is to generate a libtool libvmi.la file, like autotools is already doing.

So far I have found this module on CMake wiki: https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/community/wikis/contrib/macros/LibtoolFile

But it seems a bit old.
CMake Error at cmake/modules/Libtool.cmake:9 (GET_TARGET_PROPERTY):
  The LOCATION property may not be read from target "vmi_shared".  Use the
  target name directly with add_custom_command, or use the generator
  expression $<TARGET_FILE>, as appropriate.

Call Stack (most recent call first):
  libvmi/CMakeLists.txt:127 (create_libtool_file)

I found an updated version of this script on the GNU Radio project:
https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/master/cmake/Modules/CMakeMacroLibtoolFile.cmake

But again, another error:
CMake Error:
  Error evaluating generator expression:

    $<TARGET_FILE:$_target>

  Expression syntax not recognized.

-> Can the CMake community help me a bit to generate
this libtool file on a recent CMake release ?

Thanks !
--
Mathieu Tarral

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.