[CMake] How to update librarian section of project properties for a visual studio project using cmake?

J. Caleb Wherry calebwherry at gmail.com
Tue May 15 16:12:43 EDT 2018

You are unfortunately out of luck here. CMake does not provide built in
functionality to create "fat" static libs (multiple static libs combined).
Visual Studio allows this quite easily but CMake does not. All static libs
are considered transitive dependencies and get carried through to
executable and shared libs, they cannot be combined into a single static
lib target using the normal add_library and target_link_libraries calls.

It is possible to get a fat lib but you will have to use custom targets and
look into running the archiver directly (see CMAKE_AR). I did this once
upon a time and ran into a bunch of problems because I needed a
cross-platform solution. Things like [1] will get you down the right path
of using a custom target to get this to work.

-Caleb

[1]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14199708/cmake-include-library-dependencies-in-static-lib

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 3:44 PM, Ritesh Singh <rinkuwithsingh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am creating a static library which in turn depends on several other
> libraries. So on Windows in Visual studio for my master library I have
> updated Librarian section of project properties to add the other libraries
> as additional dependencies. If I update Librarian section manually then I
> am able to create the master library successfully, but I am not able to
> figure out how to update Librarian from cmake. Now I want to do same
> thing using the cmake, I tried several options but nothing worked yet.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I have posted these couple of questions and still waiting for the response:
>
> How to update Librarian section of project properties for a Visual studio
> project using cmake?
> https://stackoverflow.com/q/50346060/2657912?sem=2
>
> CMake not linking static library to other static libraries
> https://stackoverflow.com/q/50341118/2657912?sem=2
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> Ritesh