[CMake] Beginners Guide to Cmake and Modern Cmake

Space spacey_01 at outlook.com
Thu Jul 26 19:54:40 EDT 2018

Dear Cmake world,

I am wanting to learn how to use Cmake correctly and I would like to
implement Modern Cmake (the latest version and techniques).

Currently I have a project that was intended for use on windows machine but
I want to run/develop it on Mac and am also interested to make it overall
cross platform. On Mac I'll use Visual Studio Code and Xcode (preferably
VSC).

Here is a link to the GitHub for the current project of interest:
https://github.com/AcademyOfInteractiveEntertainment/aieBootstrap

Dependencies are:
    glfw
    glm
    imgui
    stb
    openGL (gl_core_4_4.c/h)

I have visited the cmake.org site and looked at the tutorials, they teach
old cmake 2.8 but shouldn't there be material that teaches the Modern way.

I know about the documentation that has made an effort to show some of the
modern practices but to a person, new to cmake, my brain just shuts down to
the reference styled documents, and yes, but thats what the documentation
is; a reference list.

I then found the webinars, but much disappoint, they are dated back to March
2012 ( a great effort for its time but left me confused; not modern).

We are now end of July 2018. It would be great to see a webinar completely
refreshed, which is directed at the complete beginner and makes an effort to
teach Modern Cmake in todays world. It would also be nice to understand how
to bridge the gap between old 2.8 cmake and the latest cmake. For example:
Making proper use of find_package etc...

I hope this is an interesting topic to be reviewed,

regards,

Space

--
Sent from: http://cmake.3232098.n2.nabble.com/