[CMake] ExternalProject_Add and include_external_msproject dynamic duo... but what if their powers combined?

Brian Davis bitminer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 13:09:06 EDT 2017

crickets.... crickets... crickets...

That's the response I get from the internet?

Here are some other interesting bits:

https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.8/manual/cmake-packages.7.html

Does not make any reference to

configure_package_config_file

in

https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.8/module/CMakePackageConfigHelpers.html

But happily goes about telling pkg maintainers to go about and do with
config_file what doc on
configure_package_config_file says not to do... and that is NOT to use
configure_file in the first place at:

https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.8/manual/cmake-packages.7.html#id16

And then there is INSTALL_DESTINATION in:

configure_package_config_file(<input> <output>
  INSTALL_DESTINATION <path>

which gives the pkg maintainer just enough rope to hang themselves with.

I mean hey they could (and have) put it just about anywhere like

${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/CMake  or
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/cmake or
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/cmake/pkgname or
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/lib/cmake/pkgname-<version> or
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/pkgname or
${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/cmake/pkgname or

... well you get the idea.  With or without version info. Where IMO
configure_package_config_file should require version info and put in
"standard directory" whatever that may be.

Please someone in internet land tell me I am wrong.

I'll await the crickets.