[CMake] Is search order for multiple HINTS/PATHS well defined?

b.lindahl b.lindahl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 03:54:21 EST 2016

Reading the documentation I interpret it that I should write multiple
find-commands in order to search multiple paths from most to less specific
places. To keep CMake files as short as possible I'd like to list the paths
to HINTS/PATH in a well defined order directly. I have to list multiple
paths though to support different placements for different build
configuration I have to support.

So the question is, is the order of the paths given to HINTS/PATHS well
defined? i.e. will <path1> be searched before before <path2> for libname in
this example or is it not known?

find_library(LIBRARY_RELEASE libname HINTS <path1> <path2>)