[CMake] CMake Project Generation Speedup

Damian damian.campeanu at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:15:44 EST 2016

Hi all,

We are still in the process of switching our large Make-based build to
CMake. One of the issues we're running into is the time it takes to reparse
and regenerate the CMake project (whether ninja, VS, or make) after
touching any CMake file. To give you an idea, we have about 1000 targets
and that takes a good 2 min for CMake to rerun.

Are there any plans to speed this up? Maybe parallelize it in some way or
do a better job regenerating only what needs regenerating? Is there
anything we can do on our side to reduce our regeneration times?

For example, if using a VS generator, each directory in the source that has
a CMakeLists.txt gets a .vcproj and .sln generated. Ideally, if I touch one
of those CMakeLists.txt, only that .sln/.vcproj would get regenerated.

Thanks for any help.