[CMake] Idea: CMake IRC Bot

Gerhard Gappmeier gerhard.gappmeier at ascolab.com
Fri Sep 4 03:56:08 EDT 2015

Hi CMake Devs,

maybe this idea is not new or you even have something like that, so
please let me know.

Wouldn't it be cool to have an IRC bot for cmake which we could use to
control builds and get build notifications?

What I'm thinking of is this:
* for each project on CDash you can configure an IRC channel, by default
#<projectname> or #<projectname>-ci.
* you can trigger a build manually or periodically on a given branch.
given, periodic otherwise
    where type is: Continuous, Nightly, Experimental
  - list: lists all registered build configurations
  - remove <build-id>: for removing a configured build config
* getting notifications posted in the project channel: FAILED (w=50)
...., similar to emails
   a link for the CDash website can also be posted to view the results
in detail.

Of course many more commands would be possible.
The possibilities of using IRC are endless:
E.g. you could integrate a build-status script in TMUX statusbar to show
a nice icon for your project status.

I think the main things that are missing at the moment, except for the
obvious IRC code are:
* a communication channels between CDash and the build machines, so that
CDash can trigger the builds
  (I can remember a discussion that something like that was planned, but
I don't know the current status of this)
  Why not use also IRC commands between CDash (build-master) and the
build-slaves?
* a framework which does the initial cloning of configured projects,
checkout the right branch, submodule init/sync/update, and call cmake.
  This needs to be done before "make Continuous" works. We created some
BASH scripts for this in our company,
  but I feel this is something that needs a more generic solution and
almost everybody needs that.
  This should also be able to report some Git checkout errors, e.g. if a
Git submodule reference is invalid.

What do you think?

- --
mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

*Gerhard Gappmeier*
ascolab GmbH - automation systems communication laboratory
Tel.: +49 9131 691 123
Fax: +49 9131 691 128
Web: http://www.ascolab.com
GPG-KeyId: 5AAC50C4
GPG-Fingerprint: 967A 15F1 2788 164D CCA3 6C46 07CD 6F82 5AAC 50C4

- --
*ascolab GmbH*
Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Gappmeier, Matthias Damm, Uwe Steinkrauß
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Am Weichselgarten 7 • 91058 Erlangen • Germany
Registernummer: HRB 9360
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Fürth