[CMake] CMake on OpenVMS - Apparent roadblock buried within cmake-3.3.2\Tests\CMakeLists.txt

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Oct 28 17:50:44 EDT 2015

Questions inline:

On 10/28/2015 3:35 PM, Custin, Jay (CSC Sw Middleware) wrote:

> So the configuration/bootstrap script seems to blissfully get all the
> way to the end and even displays the following:

> CMake has bootstrapped.  Now run make.
>
> Except when I looked… it had not created the Makefile.  I ran the same
> basic process on one of my Linux systems and noticed that in addition to
> NOT creating the Makefile… it also did not create the bin subdirectory.
> I tried simply adding the –trace option on the bootstrap’s cmake command
> (the last thing it does before posting the text above), but that didn’t
> seem to reveal any clues.
>
> I would love to simply comment out large swaths of the 3000+ lines of
> cmake-3.3.2\Tests\CMakeLists.txt but at this point I don’t have
> sufficient understanding of what impact doing this would have and fear
> that without the understanding doing so would probably do little to help
> me isolate where things appear to have gone awry.

What makes you think there is a problem in Tests/CMakeLists.txt?
> Does anyone know where (specifically) I should investigate to determine
> where the Makefile itself should get generated?

What files are generated in the build tree?

The toplevel makefile is created here:
void cmGlobalUnixMakefileGenerator3::WriteMainCMakefile()

But there are lots of other files that get created.

One thing you could try is to use the bootstrapped cmake to configure a
more simple project.  Something like:

project(foo)
add_library(foo foo.c)
foo.c can be an empty file.

Does the bootstrapped cmake work on that project?

> What about what triggers the creation of the bin folder?
I would not worry about that yet.

-Bill

--
Bill Hoffman