[CMake] CMake on OpenVMS - Apparent roadblock buried within cmake-3.3.2\Tests\CMakeLists.txt

Custin, Jay (CSC Sw Middleware) jay.custin at hpe.com
Wed Oct 28 15:35:11 EDT 2015

I thought I had turned the final corner and only had the “home stretch” left to get to the finish line… and then a brick wall suddenly appeared to block my way…

So the configuration/bootstrap script seems to blissfully get all the way to the end and even displays the following:

CMake has bootstrapped.  Now run make.

Except when I looked… it had not created the Makefile.  I ran the same basic process on one of my Linux systems and noticed that in addition to NOT creating the Makefile… it also did not create the bin subdirectory.  I tried simply adding the –trace option on the bootstrap’s cmake command (the last thing it does before posting the text above), but that didn’t seem to reveal any clues.

I would love to simply comment out large swaths of the 3000+ lines of cmake-3.3.2\Tests\CMakeLists.txt but at this point I don’t have sufficient understanding of what impact doing this would have and fear that without the understanding doing so would probably do little to help me isolate where things appear to have gone awry.

Does anyone know where (specifically) I should investigate to determine where the Makefile itself should get generated?
What about what triggers the creation of the bin folder?

Jay