[CMake] automoc autorcc

Norbert Pfeiler norbert.pfeiler+cmake at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 19:17:18 EST 2015

Hello,
i’m curious about 2 things and therefore wanted to ask:

When i use qt5_add_resources and some of my resources change they get
recompiled during the next invocation of my build tool. Whereas when i use
cmakes autorcc this is not the case.

Secondly, with qt5_wrap_cpp every file gets processed in parallel – well,
because they don’t depend on each other. In contrast, automoc mocs
everything in sequence (for one target) which is a noticeable bottleneck on
an 8 core machine.

As i’ve found, the reasoning for the automoc case seems to be, that
unconstrained parallelization will flood the machine and setting up logic
to constrain that is not the goal.
Shouldn’t cmake just generate independent build targets and let the build
system handle the parallelization?
I couldn’t find anything about the autorcc case though.

automoc and autorcc are supposed to replace their corresponding macros and
potentially be better than them.
Is there something i’m missing?

Regards, Norbert Pfeiler.