[CMake] on cmake supporting one arch per project (from CMake IR)

David Cole DLRdave at aol.com
Tue Aug 4 18:10:49 EDT 2015

There's nothing wrong with that approach, per se, it simply "doesn't
feel natural" to Xcode and Visual Studio users.

Xcode and Visual Studio users building modern apps for multiple
targeted platforms (phone, tablet, simulated phone/tablet, desktop,
other) are used to switching the target platform in the IDE somewhere
**within a single project file** for non-CMake-generated project
files. Forcing them to have multiple Xcode or VS project files, one
each for each of their platforms (and configs) feels like a lot of
work somehow.

The only thing "wrong" with your approach is you have to spend a lot
of time convincing people that CMake is worth it, when all they want
to do is open a project file and build. They don't want to have to
manage a slew of build trees and project files, when it seems like it
ought to be "done already" with what's readily available in the UI...

I totally understand this, and get it. And I still love CMake despite
this particular shortcoming. ;-)

David C.