[CMake] Do build after GIT_TAG changed in ExternalProject_Add

David Cole DLRdave at aol.com
Thu Apr 23 07:51:06 EDT 2015

Hmmmmmm. I am seeing the same behavior you are, even with the older
CMake 2.8.12.2 -- the update step does run, but steps after that,
which are supposed to depend on update, are not re-running.

I think your intuitive expectation is correct, and that
configure/build/install should run after changing the GIT_TAG. I
cannot see (quickly/yet) where the problem is in the chain of
ExternalProject custom commands...

There's a nagging thought bouncing around in my brain telling me
there's something awfully familiar about this problem, and that I've
seen it and solved it before, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I must be forgetting something. And unfortunately, with the complexity
of ExternalProject, it takes quite some time to dig into something
deeply.

Is anybody else listening on this thread? Shouldn't changing the
GIT_TAG value cause a re-configure+build+install of the
ExternalProject....?

David C.