[CMake] Game developers using CMake? Is CMake viable for this industry? Experiences?

fungos fungos at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 23:46:30 EDT 2014

Hello everyone,

I really hope to get some response to this email :)

I'm evaluating a build system to manage some big projects in a game studio
from a very known game company.

We develop and have projects for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Nintendo
WiiU, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii.

Recently we had some changes that got us to discuss our current building
system: Visual Studio + various VSI + Incredibuild.

So I put CMake into the discussion for it being easy to use, having easy
maintenance and project generation. Previously, I had some experience with
open source projects and CMake was always trivial, since it has support to
a large set of compilers and has assorted generators.

Now after trying to implement a Nintendo Wii toolchain I had a better
insight on CMake limitations and I got to reevaluate it and compare with
alternatives.

So, finally, why I'm here?

TL;DR

1. I would like to know if there are other developers from game industry
that want share their experiences with CMake and possibly other systems.

2. I saw some old messages on this list about people trying to support/hack
cmake to get it working with some of these closed platforms. So I would
also like to know if there was any progress at all or every effort turned
into ashes.

3. I've seen some questions about if CMake/Kitware have any interest in
contributions on this area, but I've never found a reply from some of the
core developers. What is the reason for this? Is this objective too hard to
achieve or there are no interest?

Thank you,
Danny Angelo Carminati Grein