[CMake] CPack installation directory

Lars laasunde at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:56:30 EST 2014

Appreciate your feedback.
> I tried looking at it but this seems to be a bit more complicated
    than I initially thought.
> GUIDs only seem to be auto generated for components relative to one
    of the standard prefixes like program files and I am not entirely
    sure what the implication is.
> Also if at all the root should not be a hardcoded path since e.g.
    c:\ might not be the root drive everywhere.
Who is generating the the GUID? Do you mean light or candle?

> What if the user who installs the application is not the user that
    uses the application or if there are multiple users?
The answer to that question depends on the requirements, configuration and environment of the project. It would be great if CPack could provide a way to specify or override the default root prefix which currently is "C:\Program Files" on Windows for one, multiple or all components to something else. So my question would be, what would be a good design for this feature?
> I'd perhaps install user specific files by copying them from the
    system wide installation directory into the home directory on the
    first run (by that specific user).

We are considering this kind of solution. However we then lose the ability to remove these files on uninstall. We also feel this is mixing application development with deployment.

    regards, Lars