[CMake] CPack installation directory

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 09:27:14 EST 2014

On 04.03.2014 14:46, Lars wrote:

> > > How can I configure the wix generator to produce a msi which by
> default
> > > install files to c:\tbd ?
> >
> > This is currently not possible.
> >
> > You can customize below the architecture specific Program Files
> > directory with CPACK_PACKAGE_INSTALL_DIRECTORY but you can not change
> > the default root itself.
> >
> > The NSIS generator seems to support CPACK_NSIS_INSTALL_ROOT for this
> > purpose. I can look into supporting an equivalent
> CPACK_WIX_INSTALL_ROOT
> > for WiX.

I tried looking at it but this seems to be a bit more complicated than I
initially thought.
GUIDs only seem to be auto generated for components relative to one of
the standard prefixes like program files and I am not entirely sure what
the implication is.
Also if at all the root should not be a hardcoded path since e.g. c:\
might not be the root drive everywhere.

> The original question is derived from a requirement that we need to
> install some files (a component) using CMake and WIX to the user's
> home directory.

What if the user who installs the application is not the user that uses
the application or if there are multiple users?
I'd perhaps install user specific files by copying them from the system
wide installation directory into the home directory on the first run (by
that specific user).

Nils