[CMake] cmake release and process

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Wed Feb 12 08:13:52 EST 2014

> #1. The cmake roadmap informs me that 100% of version 3.0
> is complete. Any news on when this will be released?

"Soon"    :-)

(Although, disclaimer: I'm not responsible for it anymore, so I can't
be more precise than that...)

> #2. How does the development team decide which issues
> are included in any given release?

There will periodically be an email request on this list for "what
features/bugs are intereseting to you?" -- if you see that fly by,
that's your chance to speak up and say "Hey, how about this one?" Other
than that, it's whatever each developer is most interested in /
bothered by.

> As an example, I reported a feature request some months back
> (http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=14580) and it looks
> un-touched since. Obviously I do not expect it to be fixed
> just curious about the process.
> How do I know whether the issue has been reviewed and the
> outcome of the review? Should I provide more information?
> This is not a criticism of the work being done, just trying
> to understand.

If it had been looked at seriously by anybody, I think they would have
added a note to the issue, or discussed something about it on this list.

Adding more information will probably not help much... Getting a
developer interested in tackling it (or becoming that developer
yourself) is the best way to address feature requests in CMake right
now. Most of the contributors are working on CMake only part of the
time, and many new features take quite a lot of effort. There are more
feature requests and people making feature requests than developers to
work on them, so not all of them can be addressed in a timely fashion.

HTH,
David C.