[CMake] CMakeDetermineVSServicePack

Mourad Boufarguine mourad at boufarguine.name
Thu Apr 10 11:53:14 EDT 2014

> > Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing *Compiler Version 17.00.61030* for x64
>
> That is a higher third component value than CMakeDetermineVSServicePack
> has for vc110sp3 (17.00.60610.1).  What service pack level is it?

Microsoft talks about Updates rather than Service Packs for Visual Studio
2012. I have Update 4 (which is as old as Nov 12, 2013), so maybe we need
to add a new vc110sp4 with a version of 17.00.61030.

> >> Meanwhile, Eigen should be taught to use CMAKE_<LANG>_COMPILER_VERSION
> > All I can do here is to let Eigen developers know of this issue.
>
> Yes.  CMakeDetermineVSServicePack should not be used anymore.  It
> is not reliable or future-proof because it has to be taught about
> every service pack's exact version number.
>
> > However, since CMakeDetermineVSServicePack is still shipped with
> > CMake 3.0, it has to be fixed anyway.
>
> Yes, it looks like it needs to be taught to tolerate unknown service
> pack levels without failing.  Please try the attached patch.  It is
> not expected to find the right service pack for your (newer) version
> but should prevent outright failure.

I gave the patch a try, I had no more errors, but indeed, it is not able to
find the right service pack.

> Thanks,
> -Brad

Thanks for looking into this,