[CMake] CMakeDetermineVSServicePack

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Apr 10 11:13:06 EDT 2014

On 04/10/2014 04:19 AM, Mourad Boufarguine wrote:
> I just tried with CMake 2.8.12.2 and I confirm I had the same issue.

Okay, then it is not a regression in 3.0 but still needs to be fixed.

> Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing *Compiler Version 17.00.61030* for x64

That is a higher third component value than CMakeDetermineVSServicePack
has for vc110sp3 (17.00.60610.1).  What service pack level is it?

>> Meanwhile, Eigen should be taught to use CMAKE_<LANG>_COMPILER_VERSION
> All I can do here is to let Eigen developers know of this issue.

Yes.  CMakeDetermineVSServicePack should not be used anymore.  It
is not reliable or future-proof because it has to be taught about
every service pack's exact version number.

> However, since CMakeDetermineVSServicePack is still shipped with
> CMake 3.0, it has to be fixed anyway.

Yes, it looks like it needs to be taught to tolerate unknown service
pack levels without failing.  Please try the attached patch.  It is
not expected to find the right service pack for your (newer) version
but should prevent outright failure.

Thanks,
-Brad